Plan proposed to correct the boundary of the property.



Historic Development Concept for the Park of the Henkel Villa in Potsdam

Client: Joint owned property Dr. Döpfner/Kexel/Epstein
Size: 13,500m²
Duration: October 2003 – May 2004

The Henckel Villa on the Pfingstberg (Pfingst Mountain) was constructed in 1870 for a Berlin banker. Some existing mansions and villas were integrated into nearly five hectares of comprehensive parkland that dates back from the planning of the gardener Hermann Vollert and arguably and the most important of Lenné’s students, the Berlin garden director Gustav Meyer.

After an eventful history the villa with the surrounding grounds are now in private ownership, while the largest part of the former estate is administered by the Donation for Prussian Palaces and Gardens Berlin-Brandenburg (SPSG). The former gardens are overgrown and can only be recognised as a relic and the entire grounds are under a historical preservation order.

The aim of the consultation is to establish, on which historical basis the redevelopment of the garden is to take place, since the plans are partially contradictory.

After overlaying the historical plans, evaluating photos from the 1930's and garden-historical specific excavations, we decided that the 1880 plan, which was created for the then new owner Prince Karl of Prussia, should form the basis of the renovation

Since the grounds of the property were divided without consideration for the historical course of paths, an exchange of land with the SPSG is planned, in order to allow a meaningful demarcation of the private and public part of the property.

Sources of historical maps and photos:
1: Fritsche, 1995: The Pfingstberg in Potsdam; Ed.: SPSG
2: SPSG, map collection, cat. 10598
3: SPSG, map collection, cat. 10597
4: Postcard collection to the "Haus Sonnenstätte", private collection